Update. No longer available new. You may find one second-hand.
Until recently, this was the nearest to “one size fits all” we had, with options for headphones, induction silhouettes (T setting) and direct audio input. And some people have been able to connect it through FM or Bluetooth ALDs. Unfortunately the CE license expired last year and Cardionics didn’t renew it. So new E-scopes aren’t available for sale in the UK any more. It’s still worth knowing about the E-scope as it is available in the US and second-hand stethoscopes come up for sale in the UK once in a blue moon. I’ll update this when I know more about the legal status .
The E-scope comes in two versions: the “Clinical” model has conventional arms and eartips. Use with normal or adapted eartips or custom moulds (link).
The “Hearing Impaired” model does away with the stethoscope arms and eartips so they don’t get in the way and are replaced with a headphone socket. Cardionics offers a choice of headphones, all of which have good low frequency response.
Both have a mini-USB-type socket to take cables for recording or a headphones, allowing a second listener for teaching. Or headphones for your use if you no longer wanted to use the conventional eartips.
- Have you read the essential safety information: “limitations of hearing aids and implants?”
- Consider funding
- Arrange a trial period
- And see how your audiogram matches up to heart and lung sounds to find out whether you need amplification or not.
- If the spring in other stethoscope arms is so strong you find it uncomfortable, try the Thinklabs ds32a+ which has adjustable arms. I haven’t handled one myself yet so do let me know if you try this and how you get on. Thanks.
- Don’t forget, hearing aids don’t usually reproduce the low frequencies well. So if you’re using earpieces, custom moulds or headphones over hearing aids you also need vents in your ear moulds or open fitting.
- Certain electronic stethoscopes can link to hearing aids using accessories such as the T switch, direct audio input (DAI) cables or even FM or Bluetooth if your hearing aids have these facilities. However it is better to use earpieces or headphones if possible to avoid the problem of poor low frequency reproduction.
Which stethoscope? Comparison chart.
 Without the CE mark, I don’t think Cardionics are allowed to sell direct to an individual in the EU, but I’m trying to clarify this. And I don’t know whether we are allowed to use it in the UK if we have been able to buy it in the US as an individual.